Back from Whistler

Amy and I just arrived back from our 1-year anniversary trip to Whisler, BC, Canada. It's actually quite amazing that this weekend (well, a prolonged weekend, as we've arrived only today, Tuesday) was the first time that I've been to Canada (except for the Toronto airport on the way to Spain last year), and I've lived only hours away for almost 7 years now... There are reasons, but I'll leave them for some other time. Let me focus on this post on first an overview of the trip. Once I have the pictures ready, hopefully I'll find some time to post more details with pictures.

The trip started on Saturday morning. We left Seattle in the morning, arrived at the border at around 11am, went through in about 20 minutes and at 11:45 we were at our first destination: Dim Sum in Vancouver at Western Lake Chinese Seafood Restaurant. Amy had to survive a Dim Sum (yes, like all Dim Sums around here, it's not very vegetarian-friendly), but the food was quite good. Certainly the best Dim Sum that I've had yet, but that shouldn't be shocking for anybody that knows the quality of Dim Sum in Seattle and Vancouver.

After that, we went for a walk around Stanley Park. It's a huge park, great for hiking around, but not necessarily that good for just strolling and enjoying the sights. When you get to the water the view is just OK and most of the hikes are in the middle of wooded areas, so you don't get a lot of variety.

Then we left for Whistler... It's supposed to be a 2-hour drive but there was a motorcycle accident on the road and we were stuck in traffic for an hour until they were able to divert everybody. We arrived in Whistler it was already around 6pm. We walked around Whistler Village, had a not-so-good dinner and listened to pretty terrible music, and learned that even though the temperature during the day gets pretty warm, it's quite cold at night, and we weren't very ready for it.

Sunday we took the gondola up Whistler mountain, and hiked a little around there, enjoying piles of snow, took the gondola to Blackcomb and then down to the upper village. The rest of the day was hanging out at the village.

Monday, our anniversary, we rented some bicycles and went around the lakes for a 20-kilometer bike ride, stopping to have a picnic around one of the lakes, and then arrived back to the hotel to realize that none of us are in great shape for riding bicycles for that long, so we mostly just crashed at the hotel until dinner. Dinner was at Bearfoot Bistro, which was quite excellent. Then back at the hotel we had our wedding wine and crashed.

And now we arrive at today, Tuesday. We woke up quite early, packed and left back to Seattle, stopping at Bellingham for lunch. The trip back was much shorter, as we barely had any traffic anywhere, including as we were arriving in Seattle at 4:30pm. But it's still tiring...

That's it! It ended up having a little bit more details than I was planning. I'll add pictures to the story in the (hopefully near) future.

From Cupertino

Right now I'm in a hotel in Cupertino, CA. You might be asking me what I'm doing here and the answer is simple: talking to people (i.e. working). So I can't really say that I have a lot to say about here, as I haven't been out of the hotel or the office much (the hotel is so close to the office that right now I'm in my hotel room and using the office wireless to connect to the internet). I only have two impressions:

  1. Now I understand why the woman that sat beside me on the airplane complained that Seattle was cold (even though the weather was great while she was there)
  2. This is the view from the office I'm staying:


Not too bad (taken with my iPhone 3GS by the way - I completely forgot to take a better camera, which would have been mostly a waste anyway), but quite boring compared to the mountain view that I used to have at my office in Seattle (and that turned to a lake view and now is a view from the building across the street).

I didn't really want to make this email sound like I'm comparing Cupertino to Seattle, but that's what it turned out to be. Oh, well... Time to go to the office for probably another 8-10 day (hopefully this time I'll get some dinner before it's too late and there is nowhere I can go besides the food market at the gas station down the street).

Our trip to Kitsap - Bainbridge Island, Poulsbo, Mini Maker Fair

Last weekend, Amy and I decided that because it was one of the very few weekends I didn't have to work, we should get out of town. I looked at my calendar and saw that on Sunday it was the Kitsap Mini Maker Fair. So we decided that we were going to head that way, spend the night in a bed and breakfast around there and then head to Poulsbo for the fair.

The final plan ended up being:

  • Take the ferry to Bainbridge Island early afternoon on Saturday (we had to run some errands in the morning)
  • Walk around downtown Bainbridge Island (a.k.a. the big construction zone)
  • Go to Holly Lane Gardens bed and breakfast and spend the night there
  • Drive to Poulsbo in the morning after breakfast and walk around downtown Poulsbo (which doesn't take very long)
  • Head to the Fair
  • Drive to Kingston and take the Kingston Ferry back

Pictures are worth more words than I can write here, so for a visual summary of the weekend, head over to my SmugMug slideshow. Here are some highlights: